The Aasman family is orginal from the County of Bentheim, just over the border in
Germany. See Jan Aasman, born about 1740 in Heitrop in the descendants of Aasman.
Click, for more information about Bentheim on: Bentheim
and for Nordhorn on: Nordhorn
In 1919 started Rinke Aasman (born 1897 in Musselkanaal, municipality Ontwedde) in
Valthermond a drapery shop. See photo with caption below.
Valthermond is a village in the municipality of Borger - Odoorn , in the southeast
of the Dutch province of Drenthe . Valthermond had ( according to information from
the municipality of Borger - Odoorn ) on January 1, 2007 3488 people ( 1778 men and
1710 women ) . Valthermond has Exloërmond Second , Valthe , New Weerdinge and Musselkanaal
as neighbouring villages.
The history of the village dates back to 1853 and is connected to the bog. Before
the Valthervenen were mined the area had the appearance of a wasteland: a large swamp
area with heather and bushes here and there . In 1853 began prolonging of the Stadskanaal
from the IJzeren Klap (= a drawbridge) in Musselkanaal in the direction of Valthe
. But the digging went not fast enough and it was decided to make a shortcut in the
Valthervenen This has led to a unique planning result . All 19th - century mining
in the Groningen / Drenthe area consist of perpendicular peat extraction: The front
part of Valthermond called Kavelingen runs single-channel skew relative to the Stadskanaal
Traditionally there was an old bogway ( the Valtherdreef ) between the IJzeren Klap
and Valthe . This road also forms the border between the Exloërveen and Valtherveen
. On the south side Valtherveen was bounded by the Valtherdijk that ran from Valthe
to Zandberg . The Valtherveen was with a “rooi” - the line midway between the Valtherdreef
and Valtherdijk - separated into northern and southern places . These places were
about 11 to 13 acres . On this “rooi” a temporary road was constructed at the time
of peat winning, the first ( temporary ) homes were also at this “rooi”.
Valthermond is in contrast to the most commonly used method ( one channel ) constructed
with a two- channel system . Through the ‘Noorderplaatsen’ (northern part) ran one
channel and through the ‘Zuiderplaatsen’ (southern part) the other one. From the
‘Noorderplaatsen’ a lot of peat was extracted between one channel and the ‘rooi’:
this was called a “vooraffen”. [meaning: something that had to be done beforehand,
a pre-arrangement before the land could be used]. The same method was applied to
the South Places between the channel there and the “rooi”. In this way there were
always “vooraffen” situated against each other. In this ' vooraffen ' the first homes,
businesses and shops were built . The advantage of this two - channel system is the
fact that fewer bridges are required . In order to reach the bog sites opposite to
the vooraffen (here were later on the farms) walkway bridges were constructed across
the canals that could be turned when ships had to pass. Before however houses could
be built and occupied , the bog had to be excavated and the dewatering of peat sites
had to be regulated. The first houses were built between 1870 and 1875 .
(translated from: www.nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valthermond)
Environment Vrijheidslaan , Zuiderdiep , Plaats 60/70 .
In the window of shopkeeper Rinke Aasman , Zuiderdiep 254 are hats and caps ready
for everyone. This photo was taken in the 20s of the last century . There is a time
to come and to go as regards the trend of wearing hats and caps , in Valthermond
Until the thirties of the last century, you saw a lot of hats , by men too , but
in the fifties and sixties, you actually only saw caps . Aasman has a lot of bags
" striepsiekoorn " substances off the shelves should get , because many men from
Valthermond walked around in such a corduroy suit or manchester .
From 1941 to 1946 , the family doctor Dr. Boeke had here his practice at home . The
family lived in the front part and through a side entrance they came into the waiting
room which was situated in the rear part of the house . Later, Freerk Dijkstra has
run here a drapery shop too.
In the late 70s , the house is demolished and since May 4, 1995 stands on this spot
on the Vrijheidslaan a memorial commemorating the Dutch war victims .